Saturday, October 12, 2019

Creativity with Lego


Yes, I have discovered a new stress reliever. Lego!  Through the years, my eldest son, Rafa had been accumulating a lot of Lego pieces. Some original pieces. Others copycats from China. But they would mostly fit each other. 

In-between binge watching on Netflix, I placed hundreds of these bricks on the sofa and started putting them together. Mostly, using “left-over” pieces that my son, Rafa, had not used in building his own creation.

 

Who would have thought that these colorful interlocking plastic bricks that originated in Denmark in the early 1930s would appeal to communications practitioner like me. 


Like brand building, putting together these Lego pieces require focus and synergy. Each creation results to an identity that unique and different from each other. Just like how brand building helps creates a unique image about the company. Out of scratch, I believe no two Lego creations are the same. 

 

Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, says, “Your brand is what other people say about you when you’re not in the room.” I say, these Lego I have created are what my kids will say about me when I have left the house to go to work. And they dare not take it apart.

 

Like brand building, both involve a creative process, but only Lego can bring endless possibilities. Totally agree when Tom Donaldson, VP of the Creative Play Lab at the LEGO Group said, “"We really see Lego as a creative tool.” 


Just hope my kids, Rafa and Angel, don’t disassemble them yet. But even if they do, I wouldn’t mind as I know they will create something that I never even thought of.  

 

These bricks have also given me literally the hands-on experience that is an escape from the everyday business reality budgets, briefs and brand mandatories. 

 

Lego has given me a renewed focus to build, to create and drive my anxious mind to a playful world that started in a workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen in 1932. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment