Saturday, June 16, 2007

Work and Life Balance


Today is Father’s Day. As wives and kids treat their fathers out today, many fathers are faced with the question and the quest for a work and life balance.

A few have found an acceptable compromise to this balance. I know, sometimes, I have… sometimes, I don’t have this balance.

Now, here at the Coffee Bean, somewhere in “The Fort” along High Street, Bonifacio City, I am scribbling about this work and life balance.

I have read somewhere that this balance is nearly impossible to achieve. If we try to quantify the number of hours each day, we have to divide between work and home… to create a reasonable amount of “presence” would be both unrealistic and unreasonable. What more, if we had little toddlers running around our place in Legazpi Towers 100.

The balance is best with both enjoyment and achievement.

Achievement? There is still so much I have to achieve. Still, want to establish a presence in a big multinational PR agency with “blue chip” accounts.” Still want to win an award for a CSR Program.

Enjoyment? That doesn’t necessarily mean fun. While I would enjoy a couple of hours playing “Time Crisis 4” at Time Zone. Or popcorn and movies with Chief. There is more to be enjoyed! To celebrate. To be proud of. To be satisfied. To attain a Sense of Well Being. Simply, to enjoy life.

Everyday, fathers like me try to strike a “balanced presence” at work, at school, with Chief, my many friends and my ownself.

Here now at Coffee Bean, as Chief enjoys her brewed coffee while reading Nick Joaquin and I scribble a blog, maybe, there is a moment’s balance!

Tomorrow, I would try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment