Monday, August 13, 2007

No. 756


Two days before my birthday would be another significant day in the world of sports as Barry Bonds made his strong presence felt at the Stadium, and all of San Francisco and all of the United States to hit home run No. 756.

Now, he earns a permanent presence in baseball with the MLB home run record, overpassing Hank Aaron’s 33-year old long standing home run record. He broke Hank Aaron's storied record with one out in the fifth inning, hitting a full-count, 84 mph pitch from Washington's Mike Bacsik. He sent the ball arcing high into the night, 435 feet into the right-center field seats.

Bonds has seven Most Valuable Player awards and is the all-time career leader in both walks (2540) and intentional walks (679). In 2001, he made 73 home runs and set the single-season Major League record for home runs.

In an article published at the ESPN website, Bonds said, "Thank you very much. I got to thank all of you, all the fans here in San Francisco. It's been fantastic." He also thanked all his teammates, his family and children and his late dad.



Hank Aaron, in the same published report, says "It is a great accomplishment which required skill, longevity and determination."Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years. I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historic achievement."

"My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams," Hank said.

Yes, I hope that with No. 756, Bonds will inspire many young kids to pursue their dreams and make their presence felt on any kind of court. Reminds me, when will I pick up that tennis racket that Chief gave me a couple of years ago when we were still living and working in Vietnam. Paging, Jovy Mamawal!



And now, many baseball fans will continue to debate between Bonds, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth. Me, I would go for Babe Ruth. Why? He was the first to set those home run records!

No comments:

Post a Comment