Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kristy: My Buddy


When Bob and I were still in high school, we both had a crush on Kristy Ann McNichol. Or “Buddy” for short. She was the star on the popular TV series called “Family.” I remember, we would get extra copies of TV Times that featured her story or her face on the magazine cover.

Kristy was born September 11, 1962, in Los Angeles, California. She started acting at 6 years old and for 25 years enjoyed a career on television and film. Many young teenagers like Bob and I had her image in our minds during the mid-70s.

She did guest appearances on a Starsky and Hutch, The Bionic Woman, Love American Style and The Love Boat.

"Family" was one of the early shows on TV which handled real life issues. Michael J. Fox and Leif Garrett also guest-starred in “Family.” We cheered when she won the Emmy Awards for Best Supporting Actress in a Dramatic Series in 1977 and 1979.

But became sad when her career stopped in 1994, She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

When Family went off the air in 1980, McNichol appeared in “Little Darlings” with Tatum O'Neal. And with Dennis Quaid in “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia” (1980) where she received an unheard of six figures for at the age of 19.

She was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in Only When I Laugh, by Neil Simon in which Marsha Mason (The Goodbye Girl) received the Golden Globe for Best Actress (1981).

I last watched Kristy McNichol in 1983 in a movie called “The Pirate Movie” with Christopher Atkins. I have the cassette tape (No CDs) during those years yet. Nasaan na kaya iyon?

Her last public statement to her fans was in June 2001, when she said: "A lot of people have wondered what I've been up to. I retired from my career after 24 years. My feeling was that it was time to play my biggest part -- MYSELF! I must say that it has been the best thing that ever happened to me. So many fans are disappointed that I'm not currently acting, however some may not realize that the process I'm in at this time is necessary and vital for my personal happiness and well-being."

No comments:

Post a Comment