Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bear Hugs Of Emily Abrera

Two Mondays ago, I got out of our Greenhome early. Before 9:30am, I was at the lobby of Harrison Communications, eager and excited for an interview with Emily Abrera!

Nobody…absolutely, nobody in local advertising establishes a presence like Emily Abrera. And she has agreed to share her thoughts and feelings about Cecile and I for the coming segment on “Mel and Joey.” This will be aired on 11 November 2007 in Channel 7.

The moment she walked into the Conference Room, the atmosphere changed. Her aura completely engulfs and engages anyone around her. Gosh, she is THE “icon” of Philippine advertising. Am sure many would “kill” just to be in the same room with her. My student, Chico Santos, was mesmerized by her presence. Natahimik at nahiya.

While we were waiting for the GMA crew, we got into a lengthy conversation. We talked about family and friends. About Joey, whose wife, Doris, had recently passed away. About our work in Vietnam. About her late husband, Caloy. About Somyot Chairat. Kids. Family. Marriage.

She talked for 15 minutes in front of the camera. She describes Cecile and myself… how opposites attract and how people love in “different ways.”

She later explained to Matess Salviejo that she asked to meet me (McCann Philippines was still at Eurovilla Bldg) so she could gauge the relationship Cecile and I had. I remember that afternoon I met her. She distinctly talked about a “balance in life” sharing how she and Caloy made it work for them.

It had been a long time, since I sat down and shared kuwentos with Ems. The first time was when she asked to meet me in February 2001, a few weeks before Cecile was to be posted in Vietnam.

I was very much nervous in 2001 when I first met Ems. I knew her iconic status in the industry. I felt “unworthy” to be sitting besides her. But since then, I have slowly adjusted to her presence in our lives. She will always be our “ninang” and like a mother to Cecile and I.

Her “bear hugs” to Cecile and I will always be remembered and cherished.

We love you Ems!

1 comment:

  1. i agree. she has a warm and comforting atmosphere that could make a person feel at at ease and at home. she does not give even a sinch of intimidation when i was introduced to her. instead, she made me feel welcome and traeted me as if i was an old friend. she has become an inspiration to me in making my work for my thesis very good. because someone like her deserves only the best. i hope to meet her again sometime. not just because i am to interview her but because we will exchange stories and hellos for i am not just a mere student but a respectable colleague.

    ReplyDelete