Friday, March 14, 2008

Patrick's Presence

Patrick Velez continues to make his presence in our lives. He is my first cousin, as his dad (Rene) and my dad (Hector) are brothers. In 2005, his presence was felt in HCMC, where he stayed with us for a few months. I remember, I picked him up at Tan Son Nhat Airport, brought him to McCann Erickson office to meet Cecile, then rushed back home to Tran Nhat Duat to drop his bags and shower and pack a luggage to join me for my trip to Hanoi! He was amazed with the thousands of motorbikes on the road and Vietnamese "ao dai."

Here are pictures from his Vietnam "tour of duty" from May to August 2005.


Patrick inside a music shop in Hanoi's backpackers area, where we stayed for four days that stretched through the weekend so we could go around Halong Bay, around 2 hours by bus.


Patrick with my REMBA 2 students from the Hanoi School of Business, enjoying "bia oi" in the streets of Hanoi. After beer, we even went for karaoke. And he also joined my training workshop and role-played as a client.


Going on board a boat for our trip along Halong Bay. Try riding these boats without the luxury and convenience of the "love boat." We spent a night in one of the islands while other backpackers opted to sleep on the boat... and got robbed!


And during our trip along the Mekong Delta, he played around with this snake.


Patrick helped us pack and unpack our stuff in our 1st Greenhome at 25 Tran Nhat Duat Street. Then, we transfered to Phu My Hung, where Patrick's presence continued even until the arrival of my sister, Minnie.

Around September 2005, my sister Minnie arrived in HCMC. It was her second overseas trip (after HK) and the first time (since the mid-70s) to share many experiences with Patrick. He also showed Minnie around HCMC, accompanying her on a city tour, just like a big brother. Photo taken at the Sheraton Hotel, our favorite hotel where we had breakfast after an hour of tennis at the Rex Hotel. This was uur last breakfast together before Patrick flies back to the States. Maybe, next time, they will meet each other in the East Coast?


Above is a photo taken during our first visit to New York last January 2004. Patrick is in a grey shirt. Also in photo is his mom and dad and brother, Ben and eldest sister, Renelle.


Photo shows Chief and myself, with Patrick at the center. His dad and my ninong, Tito Rene is on the right side.


Photo shows Chief and I and Patrick (right) enjoying dinner last December 2007 at the Russsian Tea Room, one of the more famous restaurants in New York City.

Today is his birthday! Happy birthday cousin and may you achieve your "half a pat" goal! And here's to more presence with us again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment