Sunday, September 13, 2009

Remembering Lolo Perico and "Tatang"

Today is grandparent’s day! A friend in Facebook reminded me of today’s milestone. Also in Mass earlier at St. John Bosco Church, the priest reminded the parishioners it was “Grandparent’s Day.”

I remember that I spent a few years with my Lolo Perico in his old house in 926 Maria Christina Street, Sampaloc. He used to teach me Spanish and going through his older years, I was taking care of him, even before the word “care-giving” became a buzz word. I would give him a bath, using Palmolive soap, which my Tita Betty would buy for everyone at home. He liked to listen to classical music over DZFE and would notice if I changed the radio to another radio station. We used to watch “Kuwentong Kutsero” aired in the old Channel 7. That show was a popular satire on local politics.

And it was also because of my Lolo Perico that I took my first plane ride. Yup, I was in high school, when we both went to Daet, Camarines Norte. I think I was 13 or 14 years old.

From my mom’s side, I remember Lolo Teroy, more fondly called “Tatang.” We would go and visit him in Angeles City, during Christmas time and town fiestas. He lived alone in his house, but within the Garcia lot in Angeles City. Every Christmas, all of us cousins would fall in line and he would hand out crisp five or ten peso bills. The older cousins would fall in line twice or thrice, thinking that he would not remember.

Wherever both are right now, am grateful for your presence in our lives.

Happy Grandparent’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment